Friday 17 February 2012

At last.......!


my design - Antibes - from the latest Rowan magazine (51)

Several years ago I ran my own little fashion shop and it was one of the most satisfying experiences of my design career. Most days I worked in a room above the shop, designing and making hand- and machine-knitwear, but 2 or 3 days a week I worked in the shop itself. Every clothes designer should do this for a while, as seeing customers trying on garments and getting their feedback is invaluable. But it wasn’t just this aspect that I enjoyed, I also enjoyed the social aspect of actually meeting customers and getting an insight into their lives.
I also realised that many people like to know about the design and making process, and I was happy to oblige.
Sadly, the lease on the shop ran out, and after 5 years of no holidays and hardly any time off (running a shop is a full time commitment) I decided to stop for the time being – that was 11 years ago!

Now I’m wondering whether having a website will be a similar experience. In some ways it seems far preferable – no high overheads, no need even to get dressed – just commuting from bed to laptop! But perhaps not quite the same sense of sociability; meeting and engaging with customers. However, in this blog I can speak and you can answer – through the Contact page, or here - so let’s see how it goes……..

Anyway, I will be using this blog to discuss my design work and all the many things that inform it, which you may find of interest – or not!
                

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennie,and welcome to the blogging world. I'm an artist who knits, started my blog in August and never looked back. Good luck with the new book, (i've ordered mine)and best of luck with the blog :)

    ReplyDelete